UEFA Anti-Doping Symposium in London – An interesting and inspiring Event
The symposium took place at the Royal Institution of Great Britain on 22-23 November 2018. UEFA, together with UNINE and the WADC Commentary team, kept with the original purpose of the Summit – encouraging frank, in-depth and balanced conversation about the most pressing issues facing anti-doping especially in team sports today, as a means to better shape the anti-doping work. The organising committee comprised Angelo Rigopoulos (UEFA), Michele Bernasconi (CAS arbitrator), Antonio Rigozzi (professor, University of Neuchâtel – UNINE) and Emily Wisnosky (WADC Commentary Project).
Actually the stakeholders, SGBs and governments alike, are finding themselves in the midst of the third major review process for the World Anti-Doping Code (WADC 2021). A final draft will be completed in September for submission to the World Conference on Doping in Sport in Katowice, Poland, in November. A separate International Standard for Education (ISE) is going to be published as well. These issues and recent legal and scientific learnings were discussed.
Amongst others, also these topics discussed were:
- Team Sports – and the definition according to generally permitted “substitution of players”, the specific whereabout requirements and “recreational drugs” (cocaine etc) including the issue of players being transferred after a positive test
Permanent CAS Ad-Hoc division to deal with doping cases – rules are scheduled to be published in January next year
- International Testing Agency (ITA)
Testing statistics e.g. the one presented by Francesca Rossi of the Cycling Anti-Doping Foundation (CADF)
- Retesting issues
- Athlete view
- The human cost of anti-doping policies on athletes
- Measures taken by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) to deal with non-compliant organisations
- Examples for good education
- Case law – primarily decisions of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS/TAS) but also this decision
Macolin Anti-Doping Summit 2017
It all started back in 2017 with the Macolin Anti-Doping Summit aiming to bring together experts from different backgrounds (arbitrators, pharmacists, sports lawyers, policy makers, lab directors etc etc).
Of course Dr. Dominik Kocholl enjoyed his participation in both events, Macolin and London.